CAMP SUNSHINE OUTREACH MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
Camp Sunshine Overview
Camp Sunshine enriches the lives of Georgia’s children with cancer and their families through yearround
recreational, education and support programs. Founded in 1983 by Dorothy Jordan, Camp
Sunshine has grown from 40 summer campers in its first year to over 400 during its 36th annual camp
in 2018. Camp Sunshine will serve thousands of children and their family members throughout the
year with over 140 programs – including weekend camps, day programs and hospital based activities.
Over 300 volunteers make Camp Sunshine’s programs possible. In 2003, Camp Sunshine House was
built to serve as a place that provides free support services and recreational programs for children
with cancer, as well as their families throughout the year. Camp Sunshine regional programs occur
throughout Georgia – allowing families to participate in activities in their own communities. Our
Savannah office specifically serves families living and being treated in Southeast Georgia.
POSITION: Community Outreach Manager – Savannah
(Part time, salaried position; average 24-hours per week)
REPORTS TO: Development Director (Atlanta) and works in close partnership with the Program
POSITION SUMMARY: The Community Outreach Manager will oversee the planning and
implementation of outreach strategies including public relations, marketing
and development activities. He or she is primarily responsible for identifying
and cultivating relationships with individuals, businesses and other relevant
organizations for the purpose of (1) increasing visibility and building awareness
of Camp Sunshine in the local community and (2) strengthening volunteer and
financial support for Camp Sunshine’s programs in Savannah. The Community
Outreach Manager and the Program Manager will work together collaboratively
in support of each other’s programs and initiatives.
• Represent Camp Sunshine in the community to build awareness of its programs and services.
• Provide accurate and appropriate information to the public and promote Camp Sunshine to
the general public.
• Work collaboratively with Program Manager to cultivate positive relationships with local
hospital and physician services administration.
• Develop and cultivate relationships with appropriate local civic organizations on behalf of
Marketing and Fund Development
• Develop and implement an annual local marketing and communications plan that integrates
fundraising and outreach strategies.
• Develop and direct a program for the cultivation of relationships with volunteers, individual
donors, businesses, and foundations in Southeast Georgia.
• Develop and implement strategies for local sponsorship opportunities, including in-kind
• Organize special events, including donor/volunteer appreciation events and other fundraising
Administrative Services and Operational Support
• Prepare an annual budget and maintain accurate financial accountability for community
outreach activities and special events.
• Attend and contribute to Camp Sunshine meetings (Atlanta and Savannah) as scheduled.
• Assist with other Camp Sunshine special projects and programs as assigned.
Direct Program Services
• Adhere to all Camp Sunshine and hospital mandated policies, procedures and trainings
regarding access, HIPAA, health, and safety. Assure all volunteers adhere to these policies.
• Working collaboratively with the Program Manager, attend and assist with Camp Sunshine
family programs and events as needed.
• Support the Program Manager with other activities as needed.
• Demonstrate a professional work environment that emphasizes teamwork and ensures respect
and recognition for each person’s contribution to the organization’s success.
• Experience: The position requires a minimum bachelor’s degree and at least three to five
years of experience in outreach, community relations, development, special events, or public
• Knowledge: Knowledge of the Savannah community is essential. An understanding of the
needs of children with cancer and their families is beneficial.
• Skills and Abilities: An individual, who is highly motivated and energetic and who is able to be
self-directing and work independently and well as part of a team. Individual must possess a
high- level attention to detail and organizational skills with the ability to track and assess
progress and address program deficiencies as they occur. Excellent communication, public
speaking and human relation skills are important. Willingness and ability to work flexible
hours, including evenings and weekends, is essential. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office
products, including Excel, Word, Outlook.
• Physical Requirements and Working Conditions: Must possess a valid Georgia driver’s license,
reliable personal transportation, current auto coverage and be willing and able to drive to
events and programs. Ability to transport approximately 25 pounds of supplies to event or
program service sites, using cart or other means.
Resume submission accepted to Dana Whitfield via email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please
provide cover letter and resume no later than September Tuesday, September 2. Questions please
contact Camp Sunshine Office at 404.325.7979.
|Outreach Manager - Savannah, GA||September 2, 2019|